Friday, October 26, 2007

The Anatomy of an Astronaut (Part Four)

So here is the fourth part of the poem. Sorry no picture this time. Tomorrows will actually be the last picture poem. Well the series is almost at an end, and I hope everyone is having fun reading it.

Red Balloons Can't Fly Forever

The balloon took me up high
I was brushing the clouds with my feet
And then I heard a voice
"Where have you been?"
I looked around to find no one in sight
"I've been waiting for you to find me."
The voice spoke again
"God?"
I called out
"What? No..."
The voice became confused,
And that scared me

"Wake up now!"
The voice yelled as a lightening bolt struck, and popped my red balloon
I was falling
And fast...

"Wake up!"
The voice ordered me again
"I would! But I'm free falling!"
I screamed out of fear

"Do not be scared..."
A new voice that sounded like an old friend instructed me
To my left were the watchers
Just like I was
The watchers were falling down to the ground
But they were falling while they sat in their chairs
The male watcher lit a cigarette
As the female watcher lifted her glass of white wine to her lips
"Mikey, don't fear. She won’t let anything hurt you."
The male watcher took a drag of his smoke
"Plus, you already landed. We're just your thoughts, we don't really exist..."
The female watcher grinned

Just like that I woke up
No gentle voice
No beautiful girl standing in front of me
No struggle
I was just simply in a bed
And I found myself looking at the ceiling
Then I found myself thinking what the watchers were talking about
I looked at my arms to see if there was any injury from a big fall
But there was nothing...
I looked over to the door to find it standing wide open
Then to see the red balloon float by
And in the distance I heard foot steps
As if someone was running after the balloon
Was I not alone?
Who was there?
Then I heard a giggle
I closed my eyes in fear of seeing the watchers again

"So now you wake up..."
Her voice reminded me of the voice from my dream

So I opened my eyes
And it started to make sense...


- Michael Alcoser

No comments: